Niki Boukouvala is a PhD candidate in the Department of Product & Systems Design Engineering of the University of the Aegean, since November 2020, holding a degree in the same department, majoring in Computer-Aided Design. Her interests lie on visual communication, design for sustainability and biodesign. In her thesis she partnered with the Agricultural University of Athens to "grow" a biomaterial based on mycelium. On her Erasmus+ internship in Rotterdam, she worked with The New Raw, to focus on practical notions of Circular Economy, as well as to enhance her design skills in both visual communication and Computer-Aided Design for 3D printing through interesting projects around sustainability and new technologies.
- Material development based on biological structures, processes and organisms
- Material Experience & Material Driven Design
- Circular Economy practices and Biomaterials in Design and Visual Communication
- Design for Sustainability
Research through material design, based on biology as well as recycling existing matter for Circular Economy
- Paraskevas Papanikos (supervisor)
- Nikolaos Zacharopoulos (member)
- Vassilis Moulianitis (member)
- 2020 - PhD Candidate. Department of Product & Systems Design Engineering, University of the Aegean.
TITLE - Research through material design, based on biology as well as recycling existing matter for Circular Economy
- 2019 - Diploma in Product & Systems Design Engineering. Polytechnic School of the University of the Aegean.
THESIS TITLE - MYCELIUM: Exploring the New, Alternative Fungal Hyphae-Based Material’s Potentials
- 2012- High School Diploma. 3d High School of Ilioupolis
- Boukouvala, N., Bofylatos, S., Zacharopoulos, N. (2019). MYCELIUM: Exploring the New, Alternative Fungal Hyphae-Based Material’s Potentials. In EKSIG 2019: Knowing Together – experiential knowledge and collaboration (pp.142-158). Tallinn, Estonia.