The staff of the department has been involved in a significant number of research projects. Among others:
- 2020‐2023: Digital Transformation of South Aegean Sea in Culture and Tourism, Operational Programme Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship & Innovation – EPAnEK
- 2020-2023: Network of Excellence in Agri-Food Research and Innovation of the South Aegean, Operational Programme Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship & Innovation – EPAnEK
- EXCELLENCE: "Development of economical and high-precision computer-aided design and engineering tools for the calculation and optimization of footwear comfort parameters", 2013-2015.
- SMILIES: Small Mediterranean Insular Light Industries Enhancement and Support 1G-MED08-454, 2009-2012.
- IST BenToWeb "Benchmarking Tools and Methods for the Web", E.E., 2005-2007.
- IST Network of Excellence: IDCnet “Inclusive Design Curriculum Network”, 2002-2004.
- IST IRIS “Incorporating Requirements of People with Special Needs or Impairments to Internet-Based Systems and Services”, IST-1999-20758, 2000-2003.
- HERAKLITOS "Priority Research Fellows in Basic Research" "Preliminary Design of an Industrial Product: Geometric / Information Models and Methods for Interactive Design", Collaborator: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA 8/11, USA. 12/2006.
Unfunded Research Projects
- Marine Traffic. The Marine Traffic Online Information System was implemented as an academic, open project. Its purpose is to exploit it in research applications, to study and design interactive information systems and to draw useful conclusions on ship traffic and radio telecommunications.
- Virtual Worlds in Education. Since 2011, the department has installed and operates a virtual world (on the Open Sim platform) where courses, meetings and experiments are carried out as part of the activities of the six-month courses, summer schools, etc.
2018-2021: Design and Innovation Capacity Building in India / DESINNO, Erasmus+ Capacity Building, Grant agreement 598404-EPP-1-2018-1-IN-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP - ENV2 (Co-funded by Erasmus+ Program of the EU). For more information, please follow this link.
2019-2022: SciLED-Footwear in the 21st century: New skills for the design of drastically improved comfort, sustainable, fashion-oriented and scientifically-led footwear products, Erasmus+ Knowledge Alliance, PROJECT NUMBER – 601137-EPP-1-2018-1-RO-EPPKA2-KA (Co-funded by Erasmus+ Program of the EU).
- MOOCAP (MOOCs for Accessibility Partnership). Α pan-european Erasmus+ project aiming to provide an online course authored by accessibility experts in nine universities.
- Aegean University Summer Schools: Every year the University organizes a significant number of summer schools, some of which are in the Department of Design Engineering. More information can be found here.
- Aegean KEPLINET Support, 2007 - today.
- Practical Informatics Teacher Training - PEEP, support of procedures for Practical Informatics Teacher Training in the Aegean, in the prefectures of Lesvos, Chios, Samos, Dodecanese and Cyclades, 2008.
- Pan-Hellenic Network for Education - EDUnet-University of the Aegean, Implementation and Operation for the area of responsibility of the University of the Aegean comprising the prefectures: Dodecanese, Cyclades, Lesvos, Samos and Chios
- Advanced Telematic Services for Secondary Education, EDUnet-3: Development and Support of Advanced Telematic Services for Secondary Education Units of Lesvos, Chios, Samos, Dodecanese and Cyclades
- "Equipment and Networking in Primary Education & School Support Infrastructures in Lesvos, Samos, Chios, Dodecanese and Cyclades"
Advanced Telematic Services for Primary Education: Development and Support of Advanced Telematic Services for the Primary Education Units of Lesvos, Samos, Chios, Dodecanese and Cyclades.
- School Information Systems Support Activities (Creation of Help Desk) in the prefectures of Lesvos, Samos, Chios, Dodecanese and Cyclades (L / Lesvos, Samos, Chios, Dodecanese and Cyclades)
- Supply of network equipment and infrastructure for wireless connection of school units
- Technical Support Consultant for the Development of Metropolitan Fiber Optic Networks of the South Aegean Region
- Promoting broadband in the northern Aegean region
- Promoting broadband in the southern Aegean region