Paraskevas Papanikos is Associate Professor at the Department of Product and Systems Design Engineering of the University of the Aegean. He holds a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens (1989) and a Master's and Ph.D. in Applied Mechanics from the University of Toronto (1992 and 1997). His research interests include structural analysis and simulation using finite elements, strength and fatigue of metals and composite materials, analytical and experimental fracture mechanics and mechanical behavior of nanostructures.
He has taught Engineering Mechanics and Structural Analysis courses in undergraduate and postgraduate studies since 2004 and has supervised more than 160 undergraduate and postgraduate theses. He has participated in more than 25 research projects in Europe and North America and is the author of more than 70 articles in scientific journals and international conferences. His research work has received more than 2,000 citations.
- Finite element modelling of structures and processes
- Strength and fatigue of metals and composites
- Analytical and experimental fracture mechanics
- Mechanical behavior of nanostructures
- 1997 Ph.D. in Applied Mechanics, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada. Thesis: “Mechanics of mixed mode fatigue behavior of cold worked adjacent holes”.
- 1992 M.A.Sc. in Applied Mechanics, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada.
- 1989 Mechanical Engineering Diploma, NTU Athens.
- Kattis M.A., Gkouti E., Papanikos P. (2020) The elliptic homoeoid inclusion in plane elasticity, Meccanica, 55(7), 1509-1523.
- Kattis M.A., Papanikos P., Tzamali M.E., Gkouti E. (2020), Design equations of neutral elliptical coated inhomogeneities in longitudinal shear, Acta Mechanica, 231(5), 1837–1847.
- Kattis M.A., Gkouti E., Papanikos P. (2019) Energy and volume changes due to the formation of a circular inhomogeneity in a residual deviatoric stress field, Acta Mechanica, 230(10), 3457–3475.
- Papanikos, P., Nikolopoulos, D.D. & Tserpes, K.I. (2008). Equivalent beams for carbon nanotubes. Computational Materials Science 43 (2), 345-352.
- Tserpes, K.I., & Papanikos, P. (2005). Finite element modeling of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Composites Part B: Engineering 36 (5), 468-477.
- Tsirkas, S.A., Papanikos, P. & Kermanidis, T. (2003). Numerical simulation of the laser welding process in butt-joint specimens. Journal of materials processing technology 134 (1), 59-69.
- Tserpes, K.I., Labeas, G., Papanikos, P. & Kermanidis, T. (2002). Strength prediction of bolted joints in graphite/epoxy composite laminates. Composites Part B: Engineering 33 (7), 521-529.
- Tserpes, K.I., Papanikos, P. & Kermanidis, T. (2001). A three‐dimensional progressive damage model for bolted joints in composite laminates subjected to tensile loading. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures 24 (10), 663-675.