D. Gavalas is employed as Professor in the Department of Product and Systems Design Engineering in the University of the Aegean, Greece, and Adjunct Professor in Hellenic Open University.
Over the past few years he has conducted research in the fields of mobile/pervasive/distributed computing, augmented/virtual reality, wireless adhoc networks, optimizations algorithms, transportation systems, web technologies, mobile code, network and systems management, e/m-commerce.
He has co-authored over 185 publications on the above subjects, published in international journals, book chapters and conference proceedings, which have received over 4800 citations (h-index: 33, i10-index: 83). He has also co-authored three books (written in the Greek language) covering the thematic areas of wireless networks, distributed systems and mobile technologies, respectively.
He has extensive teaching experience in both undergraduate and postgraduate level, in courses related to web design and development, web-based multimedia, hypermedia technologies, computer networks, electronic commerce, databases fundamentals, distributed systems, mobile & pervasive computing and wireless networking.
He has supervised three completed PhD dissertations and dozens of final year and MSc projects.
He serves as editorial board member of Journal of Network and Computer Applications (Elsevier), Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (Springer), Information Technology & Tourism (Springer) and Sensors (MDPI). He has co-chaired the IEEE WiMob 2020 conference as well as the MobiSensor (2010-2012) and ISUT (2017-2018) international workshops.He has also served as TPC member in numerous (> 100) leading conferences and guest-editor in highly ranked journals in the fields of mobile and wireless communications.
He has acted as external reviewer for research proposals submitted to H2020 FET OPEN, Research Promotion Foundation (Cyprus), Italian Ministry for Education, University and Research (MIUR), Polish National Science Centre (NCN), Greek General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT), etc. He has participated as a coordinator and/or key researcher in several research and development projects funded by Greek national and European funding bodies, including TouristHub and SocialPARK (GSRT), SMARTBUY (H2020-ICT-2015/687960), HoPE (EC/CIP7/621133), MOVESMART (EC/FP7/609026), eCOMPASS (EC/FP7/288094), VESPER (EC/IST-1999-10825), OPTIMIST (EC/IST-1999-12501).
- Technologies, systems and applications of mobile and pervasive computing
- Wireless Internet / web technologies, service-oriented architectures
- Optimization algorithms and applications in Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Immersive technologies (augmented / mixed / virtual reality)
- Wireless sensor networks and wireless mobile ad-hoc networks
- 2001 PhD in Electronics Engineering, Electronics Systems Engineering (E.S.E.) Dept, University of Essex, UK; Thesis title: “Mobile Software Agents for Network Monitoring and Performance Management”.
- 1997 MSc in “Telecommunications and Information Systems”, Electronics Systems Engineering (E.S.E.) Dept, University of Essex, U.K.
- 1995 BSc in Informatics (Computer Science), Dept of Informatics, University of Athens, Greece.
- E. Dzardanova, V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, “On the Effect of Social Context in Virtual Reality”, IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, Special Issue in “Advanced Interaction and Virtual/Augmented Reality”, in press.
- Venetis, D. Gavalas, G. Pantziou and C. Konstantopoulos, “Mobile Agents-Based Data Aggregation in WSNs: Benchmarking Itinerary Planning Approaches”, Wireless Networks, Springer Science, in press.
- C. Konstantopoulos, N. Vathis, G. Pantziou and D. Gavalas, “Employing Mobile Elements for Delay-Constrained Data Gathering in WSNs”, Computer Networks, Elsevier Science, 135, pp. 108-131, April 2018.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, “User-Generated Content in Pervasive Games”, ACM Computers in Entertainment, 16(1), 3:1-3:23, 2018.
- D. Gavalas, I. Venetis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou, “Mobile Agent Itinerary Planning for WSN Data Fusion: Considering Multiple Sinks and Heterogeneous Networks”, International Journal of Communication Systems, Wiley, 30(8), May 2017.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, “Occlusion Handling in Outdoors Augmented Reality Games”, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer Science, 76(7), pp 9829-9854, April 2017.
- D. Gavalas, V. Kasapakis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou and N. Vathis, “Scenic Route Planning for Tourists”, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Springer Science, 21(1), pp. 137-155, February 2017.
- C. Goumopoulos, P. Nicopolitidis, D. Gavalas and A. Kameas, “A Distance Learning Curriculum on Pervasive Computing”, International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning, InderScience, 27(1/2), pp. 122-146, 2017.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, “Revisiting Design Guidelines for Pervasive Games”, International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, Emerald, 13(4), pp. 386-407, 2017.
- D. Gavalas, I. Venetis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou, “Energy-Efficient Multiple Itinerary Planning for Mobile Agents-Based Data Aggregation in WSNs”, Telecommunication Systems, Springer Science, 63(4), pp. 531–545, December 2016.
- C. Konstantopoulos, I. Venetis, G. Pantziou and D. Gavalas, “Efﬁcient Event Handling in Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks: An On-line Computation Approach”, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier Science, 75, pp. 181-199, November 2016.
- V. Kasapakis, D. Gavalas and P. Galatis, “Augmented Reality in Cultural Heritage: Field of View Awareness in an Archaeological Site Mobile Guide”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, thematic issue on “Reflections and Advances in Ambient Intelligence”, IOS Press, 8(5), pp. 501-514, October 2016.
- D. Gavalas, C. Konstantopoulos, K. Mastakas, G. Pantziou and N. Vathis, “Efficient Metaheuristics for the Mixed Team Orienteering Problem with Time Windows”, Algorithms, MDPI, 9(1), 6, 2016.
- D. Gavalas, V. Kasapakis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou, N. Vathis and C. Zaroliagis, “The eCOMPASS Multimodal Tourist Tour Planner”, Expert Systems with Applications, Elsevier Science, 42(21), pp. 7303-7316, November 2015.
- D. Gavalas, C. Konstantopoulos, K. Mastakas, G. Pantziou and N. Vathis, “Heuristics for the Time Dependent Team Orienteering Problem: Application to Tourist Route Planning”, Computers & Operations Research, Elsevier Science, 62, pp. 36-50, October 2015.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, “Pervasive Gaming: Status, Trends and Design Principles”, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier Science, Vol. 55, pp. 213-236, September 2015.
- V. Kasapakis, D. Gavalas and N. Bubaris, “Pervasive Games Field Trials: Recruitment of Eligible Participants through Preliminary Game Phases”, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Special Issue on “Mobile and Pervasive Games”, Springer Science, 19(3), 523-536, July 2015.
- D. Gavalas, C. Konstantopoulos, K. Mastakas, G. Pantziou and N. Vathis, “Approximation Algorithms for the Arc Orienteering Problems”, Information Processing Letters, Elsevier Science, 115(2), pp. 313-315, February 2015.
- A. Dasios, D. Gavalas, G. Pantziou and C. Konstantopoulos, “Hands-on Experiences in Deploying Cost-Effective Ambient-Assisted Living Systems”, Sensors, Special Issue on “Sensors and Smart Cities”, MDPI, 15, pp. 14487-14512, 2015.