D. Gavalas is employed as Professor in the Department of Product and Systems Design Engineering in the University of the Aegean, Greece (Head of Department in 2020-2022), and Adjunct Professor in Hellenic Open University.
Over the past few years he has conducted research in the fields of mobile/pervasive/distributed computing, extended reality, wireless adhoc networks, optimization algorithms, transportation systems, web technologies, mobile code, network and systems management, e/m-commerce.
He has co-authored over 200 publications on the above subjects, published in international journals, book chapters and conference proceedings, which have received over 5000 citations (h-index: 37, i10-index: 96). He is the recipient of 3 best paper / young researcher awards for articles published in proceedings of international conferences. He has also co-authored three books (written in the Greek language) covering the thematic areas of wireless networks, distributed systems and mobile technologies, respectively. He has been ranked among the 100.000 top scientists across all fields - top 2% in the field “Networking & Telecommunications”, based on his career-long research performance according to a recent survey of Stanford University (2022).
He has extensive teaching experience in both undergraduate and postgraduate level, in courses related to web design and development, web-based multimedia, hypermedia technologies, computer networks, electronic commerce, databases fundamentals, distributed systems, mobile & pervasive computing and wireless networking.
He has supervised three completed PhD dissertations and dozens of final year and MSc projects.
He serves as editorial board member of Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (Springer), Information Technology & Tourism (Springer) and Sensors (MDPI), while he has served in the boards of Journal of Network and Computer Applications (Elsevier) and mobile User Experience (Springer) in the past. He has co-chaired ACM MobileHCI’2023, IEEE WiMob 2020 as well as three international workshops (MobiSensor'2010, MobiSensor'2011 and ISUT (2017-2018). He has also served as TPC member in numerous (> 100) leading conferences and guest-editor in highly ranked journals in the fields of mobile and wireless communications.
He is regularly invited as external evaluator and panel member for research proposals submitted to EIC Pathfinder Open, H2020 FET OPEN, Ministero dell'Istruzione dell'Università e della Ricerca (Italy), National Science Centre (Poland), Research Promotion Foundation (Cyprus), Greek General Secretariat for Research and Technology (Greece), National Strategic Reference Framework (Greece), etc. He has participated as a coordinator and/or key researcher in several research and development projects funded by Greek national and European funding bodies, including VR4all, REVEALING και ASTRE (Erasmus+), iDeliver, TouristHub and SocialPARK (GSRT), SMARTBUY (H2020-ICT-2015/687960), HoPE (EC/CIP7/621133), MOVESMART (EC/FP7/609026), eCOMPASS (EC/FP7/288094), VESPER (EC/IST-1999-10825), OPTIMIST (EC/IST-1999-12501).
- Technologies, systems and applications of mobile and pervasive computing
- Wireless Internet / web technologies, service-oriented architectures
- Optimization algorithms and applications in Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Immersive technologies (augmented / mixed / virtual reality)
- Wireless sensor networks and wireless mobile ad-hoc networks
- 2001 PhD in Electronics Engineering, Electronics Systems Engineering (E.S.E.) Dept, University of Essex, UK; Thesis title: “Mobile Software Agents for Network Monitoring and Performance Management”.
- 1997 MSc in “Telecommunications and Information Systems”, Electronics Systems Engineering (E.S.E.) Dept, University of Essex, U.K.
- 1995 BSc in Informatics (Computer Science), Dept of Informatics, University of Athens, Greece.
- E. Dzardanova, V. Kasapakis, D. Gavalas and S. Sylaiou, "Virtual Reality as a Communication Medium: A Comparative Study of Forced Compliance in Virtual Reality vs. Physical World", Virtual Reality, Springer Science, 26(2), pp. 737-757, June 2022.
- S. Sylaiou, V. Kasapakis, D. Gavalas and E. Dzardanova, "Avatars as Storytellers: Affective Narratives in Virtual Museums", Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Springer Science, 24(6), pp. 829-841, December 2020.
- T. Chatzidimitris, D. Gavalas, et al., "A Location History-Aware Recommender System for Smart Retail Environments", Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Springer Science, 24(5), pp. 683-694, October 2020.
- D. Kypriadis, G. Pantziou, C. Konstantopoulos and D. Gavalas, "Optimizing Relocation Cost in Free-Floating Car-Sharing Systems", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 21(9), pp. 4017-4030, September 2020.
- I. Venetis, D. Gavalas, G. Pantziou and C. Konstantopoulos, "Mobile Agents-Based Data Aggregation in WSNs: Benchmarking Itinerary Planning Approaches", Wireless Networks, Springer Science, 24(6), pp. 2111–2132, August 2018.
- E. Dzardanova, V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, "On the Effect of Social Context in Virtual Reality: An Examination of the Determinants of Human Behavior in Shared Immersive Virtual Environments", IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, 7(4), pp. 44-52, July 2018.
- C. Konstantopoulos, N. Vathis, G. Pantziou and D. Gavalas, "Employing Mobile Elements for Delay-Constrained Data Gathering in WSNs", Computer Networks, Elsevier Science, 135, pp. 108-131, April 2018.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, "User-Generated Content in Pervasive Games", ACM Computers in Entertainment, 16(1), 3:1-3:23, 2018.
- D. Gavalas, I. Venetis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou, "Mobile Agent Itinerary Planning for WSN Data Fusion: Considering Multiple Sinks and Heterogeneous Networks", International Journal of Communication Systems, Wiley, 30(8), May 2017.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, "Occlusion Handling in Outdoors Augmented Reality Games", Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer Science, 76(7), pp 9829-9854, April 2017.
- D. Gavalas, V. Kasapakis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou and N. Vathis, "Scenic Route Planning for Tourists", Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Springer Science, 21(1), pp. 137-155, February 2017.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, "Revisiting Design Guidelines for Pervasive Games", International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, Emerald, 13(4), pp. 386-407, 2017.
- D. Gavalas, I. Venetis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou, "Energy-Efficient Multiple Itinerary Planning for Mobile Agents-Based Data Aggregation in WSNs", Telecommunication Systems, Springer Science, 63(4), pp. 531–545, December 2016.
- C. Konstantopoulos, I. Venetis, G. Pantziou and D. Gavalas, "Efﬁcient Event Handling in Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks: An On-line Computation Approach", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier Science, 75, pp. 181-199, November 2016.
- V. Kasapakis, D. Gavalas and P. Galatis, "Augmented Reality in Cultural Heritage: Field of View Awareness in an Archaeological Site Mobile Guide", Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, IOS Press, 8(5), pp. 501-514, October 2016.
- D. Gavalas, V. Kasapakis, C. Konstantopoulos, G. Pantziou, N. Vathis and C. Zaroliagis, "The eCOMPASS Multimodal Tourist Tour Planner", Expert Systems with Applications, Elsevier Science, 42(21), pp. 7303-7316, November 2015.
- D. Gavalas, C. Konstantopoulos, K. Mastakas, G. Pantziou and N. Vathis, "Heuristics for the Time Dependent Team Orienteering Problem: Application to Tourist Route Planning", Computers & Operations Research, Elsevier Science, 62, pp. 36-50, October 2015.
- V. Kasapakis and D. Gavalas, "Pervasive Gaming: Status, Trends and Design Principles", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier Science, Vol. 55, pp. 213-236, September 2015.
- A. Dasios, D. Gavalas, G. Pantziou and C. Konstantopoulos, "Hands-on Experiences in Deploying Cost-Effective Ambient-Assisted Living Systems", Sensors, Special Issue on “Sensors and Smart Cities”, MDPI, 15, pp. 14487-14512, 2015.