Modestos Stavrakis is a faculty member (Assistant Professor in Interaction Design) at the Department of Products and Systems Design Engineering (University of the Aegean). He holds a PhD in Design from the same university, a MSc in Computer Aided Graphical Technology Applications and a BA(first class honours) in Creative Visualisation from the University of Teesside (UK).
His research has led to the co-authoring of journals, conference publications and book chapters in the areas of Interaction Design and User Experience, HCI, computer aided collaborative design, web information systems, computer assistive technologies, virtual reality, digital media design, digital arts and distance/e-learning.
He has an extensive teaching experience in undergraduate and postgraduate level in interaction design, interactive systems design, product design (ideation and concept design), multimedia, 3d modelling and computer animation. He supervised a number of undergraduate and postgraduate final year theses and is member of the supervisory committee of doctoral level students.
He is a reviewer and scientific committee in several conferences and journals in the areas of interaction design, multimedia and cultural heritage. He participated as a experienced researcher and scientific coordinator in several research and development projects that have been funded from national and international sources.
These include: IST ENORASI Virtual Environments for the Training of Visually Impaired (IST-2000-25231), IST REGNET Cultural Heritage in Regional Networks (IST-2000-26231), IST ASPIS An Authentication and Protection Innovative Software System for DVDROM and Internet (IST-1999-12554), IST SHOPLAB, The ShopLab Network for Test and Design of Hybrid Shop Environments based on Multimodal Interface Technologies (IST-2000-28143), IST GUARDIANS Gateway to User Access of Remote and Distributed Information and Network Services (IST 1999-2075,) IST IRIS Incorporating the Requirements of People with Special Needs or Impairments to Internet-based systems and Services (IST-2000-26211), IST BenToWeb Benchmarking Tools and Methods for the Web (IST-2-004275).
- Interaction Design
- Interactive Systems Design
- User Experience
- Tangible Interaction
- Collaborative Systems
- mHealth (Mobile Health)
- Wearable Computing
- Physical Computing
- 2009 PhD, Department of product and Systems Design Engineering, University of the Aegean, Greece. Title: “Interaction for Design: Interaction for Design: A theoretical framework for contextual collaboration”.
- 2000 MSc Computer Aided Graphical Technology Applications, School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Teesside, UK.
- 1999 BA (First Class Honours) Creative Visualisation, School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Teesside, UK.
- Partheniadis, K., & Stavrakis, M. (2017). Designing a smart ring and a smartphone application to help monitor, manage and live better with the effects of Raynaud’s phenomenon. In Goodtechs 2017. Pisa, Italy: Springer.
- Anagnostakis, G., Antoniou, M., Kardamitsi, E., Sachinidis, T., Koutsabasis, P., Stavrakis, M., Zissis, D. (2016). Accessible Museum Collections for the Visually Impaired: Combining Tactile Exploration, Audio Descriptions and Mobile Gestures. In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services Adjunct (pp. 1021–1025). New York, NY, USA: ACM.
- Dimitropoulos, A., Dimitropoulos, K., Kyriakou, A., Malevitis, M., Syrris, S., Vaka, S., Stavrakis, M. (2017). The Loom: Interactive Weaving through a Tangible Installation with Digital Feedback. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Olimje, Slovenia: Springer.
- Gardeli, A., Vosinakis, S., Englezos, K., Mavroudi, D., Stratis, M., & Stavrakis, M. (2017a). A Week Without Plastic Bags: Creating Games and Interactive Products for Environmental Awareness. In Advances in Computer Entertainment. London: Springer.
- Gardeli, A., Vosinakis, S., Englezos, K., Mavroudi, D., Stratis, M., & Stavrakis, M. (2017b). Design and Development of Games and Interactive Installations for Environmental Awareness. EAI Endorsed Transactions on Serious Games, 4(12).
- Georgiadi, N., Kokkoli-Papadopoulou, E., Kordatos, G., Partheniadis, K., Sparakis, M., Koutsabasis, P., Stavrakis, M. (2016). A Pervasive Role-playing Game for Introducing Elementary School Students to Archaeology. In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services Adjunct (pp. 1016–1020). New York, NY, USA: ACM.