The aim of the course is to prepare students for professional environment communication requirements, including postgraduate studies.
To this end, the course focuses on further practice of oral and written language skills in relation to the aspects described above.
Extensive use of audiovisual material serves to achieve more effectively the afore-mentioned objectives.
a) Theoretical background, instructions and useful tips about oral presentations,
b) Students’ oral presentations of projects they have designed within the framework of one of the Studio courses and / or for a design competition,
- DESCRIPTION of GRAPHS / DIAGRAMS: Useful vocabulary and expressions, students’ oral practice in similar descriptions,
- CURRICULUM VITAE / COVER LETTER:
- a) Guidance for the preparation and writing of a CV, useful vocabulary incl. Standard terms, general principles and tips,
- b) Students’ practice in writing their CVs, together with indicative cover letters depending on the occasion (graduate studies or professional environment)
- INTERVIEWS (ACADEMIC, PROFESSIONAL):
- a) Discussing how to approach standard interview questions, as well as “tricky questions”, useful expressions, sample questions and answers,
- b) Practicing the afore-mentioned issues, including the recording of the students’ efforts with the aim of self- and peer-correction.
- Presenting BIBLIOGRAPHY.
The students are able to:
- Effectively use the English language as an instrument of communication in a professional environment, but also as a tool for creative research and constructive scientific work
- Deliver academic and/or professional presentations regarding products/constructions/services/systems they (or others) have designed
- Prepare oral or written reports and descriptions
- Write their CV and a covering letter
- Deal with professional/academic interview questions
- Have acquired some basic understanding about the writing of bibliography
1. Studying for Science [εκδ.: SPON Press]
2. Oxford English for Information Technology [εκδ.: OUP]
3. Oxford English for Computing [εκδ.: OUP]
4. Design - a crash course [εκδ.: Watson-Guptill]
5. History of Modern Design (2nd edition)
6. Oxford English for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering [εκδ.: OUP]
7. Hyper Lexicon [εκδ.: Σταφυλίδης]
8. Λεξικό Τεχνολογίας & Επιστημών (Αγγλοελληνικό & Ελληνοαγγλικό) [εκδ.: Σταφυλίδης]
9. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary + CD ROM [εκδ.: OUP]
10. Oxford Collocations Dictionary [εκδ.: OUP]